Sunday, March 22, 2009

In Loving Memory of Grandpa...

This weekend Kevin, Ayda and I traveled to North Carolina for my Grandpa's memorial service. He fought the fight against cancer and passed away middle of last week. He was diagnosed with terminal stage four cancer last summer. He left very specific instructions for us to mourn his loss but not for long. He wanted us to be happy he was in a better place and celebrate his life. He lived 88 amazing years. 61 of those he was married to my Grandma. Their marriage is definitely something to look up to! So we shed some tears and came together as a family to embrace one another, but we also had lots of laughs and enjoyed each other's company. I think the whole day was exactly how he wanted it! His whole family was together under one roof which I know he would have absolutely loved. It was still difficult to not have him there with us. I enjoyed spending time with everyone and Ayda definitely got her fair share of hugs, kisses and love. She did amazing! Although, we got home tonight at 530 and she has been passed out since 715 (still in her traveling clothes and no bath)! I'm just going to let her sleep. So the overall weekend was bitter/sweet. There was a hole where Grandpa was supposed to be and no one tried to fill that. Kevin and I realized the importance of leaving a legacy you can be proud of. Grandpa did that indeed!! I miss him and love him so much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful beautiful pictures! i wish i could have been there, but i'm glad you had a safe trip! it looks like ayda and truman had a blast with each other - too cute! i love you all. talk to you soon

jaci

Jen said...

I love it! Those pics are just precious! I can't believe how big Ayda is getting! Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!!! Jen

Allison Lewis said...

I love it!! I'm still working on my pics...I'll let you know when they're up. We love you, and we'll see you in a few days!
-al