Friday, July 30, 2010

No Snakes Allowed!

We had a little visitor here last night. Kevin walked into the kitchen and found a snake in the middle of the floor...very much alive! He called out to me to NOT come in there and definitely keep Ayda out. I was, of course, intrigued and came in. By the time I walked in the snake had gone under the refrigerator. And thus began an adventure to get him out. Ayda and I stood on kitchen chairs watching Kevin try to scare him back out. Definitely didn't work. I finally went and put Ayda to bed and also shoved a towel under her door to keep him out of her room!

When I got back in the kitchen the snake's head was peaking out from behind the fridge. But he went right back under in no time. We tried everything we could think of to get him out. We finally found a flashlight and after shining it under there several times we concluded he must have gone up in the coils of the fridge. Nice. So we decided to watch some tv and check back periodically. I pretty much went into denial that there was a snake in the kitchen!

About 30 minutes went by and we decided to check in there. As we both stood up to head to the kitchen we froze as we saw him about to go into Kevin's mom's room. Kevin grabbed a golf club, I grabbed a gold club and we slowly approached the snake. I eventually ended up with both clubs, one on each side of the snake to keep him from going anywhere. Who knew you could direct a snake where you want it to go. Kevin had run to grab the trash can to trap him (we had already decided to try to get him outside safely, without killing him). Well the clubs were working until he starting moving toward one of them and acted completely unafraid of it. And that is about when I panicked. Snake must have known and made his break for the living room. Luckily the living room is very open so we had lots of space for him to make his move but us to still capture him. Kevin grabbed the clubs from me, I jumped on the couch, Kevin yelled I had to be doing something, I grabbed the trash can and sort of aimlessly, yet luckily threw it on the snake!!!! Victory!!!!! I collapsed on the couch to catch my breath, Kevin was dying laughing at me. Somehow Ayda slept through all the screaming and laughing!

We then put something under the trash can and took the snake outside. He was quite happy as he took off for the orange groves! I HOPE he learned his lesson and will NOT come back to our house...EVER!!!
Right before the release

Still a little too scared to move!

Freedom!

No comments: