Saturday, March 26, 2011

Hadley Mei Lin!!!

We are SO excited to announce the arrival of our little girl, Hadley Mei! She arrived yesterday March 25th at 4:06AM. We are simply smitten with her and all are doing great. Kevin claims he is a little scared about being out numbered now and having two daughters to protect, but I can tell he is already so in love!

The labor went great and we are blessed to have had another baby at home. She is healthy and perfect. My labor was nothing like mine with Ayda. It was quite a whirlwind actually. I had every sign of pre-labor since Monday. We kept thinking maybe it'll be tonight...or maybe today. And then nothing would happen. Braxton Hicks contractions would stop. I had some cramping throughout the week but it was so irregular I really didn't know what to make of that. My midwife said at my 39 week appointment on Tuesday that she didn't think I would make it through the weekend. She was right! So here is the details of the labor as I remember...
12:oo AM: Went to bed feeling the same as every night...itchy!
1:15AM: Woke up to a really weird painful feeling in my low abdomen. Got up to go to the bathroom to see if that would help. Happened again but not as painful this time.
1:20ish: Ayda wakes up crying. I headed to her room to see what was wrong. She was wide awake (not a normal thing). Changed her diaper and had another contraction (not at all convinced at this point that it was indeed a contraction). Told Ayda to go night night and headed back to our room. I also woke Kevin, who was sleeping on the couch (poor guy has been on the couch so he wouldn't wake me up snoring) and told him that I thought I was having some contractions but I'd come get him if they continued. Again still not convinced they were contractions. I expected to lay back down and they would stop.
1:25ish: got back in bed and waited. Contraction started right away.
1:33: Another one. Definitely got my attention and hurt. Not sure about the times but I had a couple more in bed around 8 minutes apart. Decided to get up and sit on the ball to see if anything changed. Next contraction came and they were about 5 minutes apart. I was alone so it was hard to decide if I would be able to talk through them or not but I definitely stopped moving when I had them.
2:20AM: Woke up Kevin and said I needed him to support me through the contractions. He hopped up and we went back to our room and I sat on the ball. Had a few more about 5 minutes apart.
2:45 AM: Decided to call our doula and midwives. Our Doula and friend, Emily, said she was on the way and would be at our place within 45 minutes. Our midwife said to give her a call back in 30 minutes with an update.
3:00AM: headed outside to walk and I texted my dad and step-mom to tell them I was in labor. Once outside contractions were 3 minutes apart. Kevin called the midwife again (only 20 minutes after we last talked to her) and gave her the update. They decided to head over.
3:15AM: Contractions coming one on top of the other and I wanted back inside to sit on the ball. Hopeful that it would slow them down and I could get a little break.
Inside I sat on the ball for one contraction and decided it was awful and they hurt less standing up. Kevin ran to me to support me during the contraction and then would hurry to light the candles or get the ipod ready between, only having about 45 seconds at a time. My contractions were about 2 minutes apart lasting over a minute.
3:25ishAM: Emily arrives at the house.
3:40AM: Midwife, Robyn, arrives at house. I try to update her between contractions. Told her my hands wouldn't stop shaking and that I wanted into the pool (still empty at this point). She said my shaking was normal and that we may not have time to fill the pool. I was very sad. Water therapy helped so much with Ayda and I wanted to have this baby in the water. Had another contraction and felt like my water might break but it didn't. Told Robyn I really wanted to be in water. She suggested I get in the shower. Great idea...that helped a bunch!
(Times are fuzzy from here on out) Soon after Robyn arrived, Becky (the other midwife) arrived at the house. I was already in the shower facing the wall of the shower so my back was to the door. Called out to go wake my mom, Lauren, Kevin's dad, and Aunt up! Had another contraction and felt the urge to push. I called out that I had that and thought I was going crazy. Making it up. Robyn came in and said to push if I felt the urge, just listen to my body. Next contraction at the peak, I felt the urge again. Robyn said to squat if I felt the urge to push because I could not have this baby standing up. I couldn't believe I was about to be pushing. I wanted to sit down so they quickly started getting the tub filled up. I just remember a lot of stuff happening around me but I had no idea what because my face was on my arm facing the wall. After a couple more contractions I got to sit down in the water and it felt awesome.
4:00AM: Started pushing. Water broke.
4:06AM: Hadley Mei was born after 3 pushes!!
When I sat down to start pushing was the first time I actually saw Becky there. She and Robyn helped me push effectively and Kevin was able to help Becky guide Hadley out.

As I sat in the tub (never in a million years thought I would have her in the bathtub) holding our daughter I was in complete shock. I had no clue what time it was but knew it had not been long since it all started. My labor from start to finish was 2 hours 51 minutes long...and I was in denial for an hour of that! My labor with Ayda was 12 1/2 hours and I had been told that the second time around it is usually half. I was expecting a 6-7 hour labor! I'll admit having a baby in less than 3 hours is the way to go! I have felt great. Have not had to take any tylenol or motrin and have a decent amount of energy. We rested all day yesterday and are laying low today as well. Hadley had a great night last night as well. We were up a lot but she really did wonderful and I was able to get some good sleep with her snuggled up with me.

And as for the big sister...Ayda is very excited about her new baby sister. She woke up yesterday around 7:30 and my mom brought her into our room to meet her sister. She was a little confused but also excited to see the baby. I was afraid she would think we were just babysitting a baby and that she would expect Hadley to leave but she seems to understand that she is ours and is here to stay. If Hadley starts fussing Ayda will come over say "Baby eat eat" or "baby night night". She also will come running into the room if she is somewhere else to see what is wrong when Hadley is crying. It's very sweet! I know we'll have some rough patches as we all adjust but she is doing wonderful already. And I am so glad that Kevin and I are home with her to keep her routine somewhat normal.

My itching is still here but seems to be getting better. I'm hopeful it will be gone within a week or so. I see some subtle signs that it will be departing soon and I cannot wait to be itch free!!! Those of you praying for me and my sanity the last few weeks I cannot thank you enough. They were felt! I had many moments where I just didn't think I could stand one more itchy sleepless night or frustrating itchy day. I was able to sit outside this morning in the shade for about an hour and be comfortable. It was wonderful!

We are so excited about our new addition to say the least! Enjoy the pics! I will try to get some more up soon but we're being pretty lazy around here and loving every second of it. We are so in love with our newest little girl!


Getting weighed...8lbs 3oz and she is 21 inches long!

Becky doing her newborn exam



Daddy getting to snuggle with Hadley while I got situated in bed.

Our awesome midwives, Becky and Robyn!

Ayda giving me hugs and meeting Hadley! She was super excited.

Talking about her new baby sister.

Last night Ayda asked to hold Hadley! Actually she announced it was Ayda's turn!
We had a BIRTHday cake for Hadley and sang happy birthday.

We are so grateful for everyone who has been praying for our little one. She is absolutely precious and so laid back! And the girl loves to eat! And speaking of which it is that time again...she's calling for me!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I LOVE IT!!! Every detail!!! And cannot believe it all happened that fast!! Can I just say- I am jealous! :)
She is absolutely beautiful! Oh, how I wish we lived closer so I could come love on those sweet cheeks of hers!!!! Congratulations to Mommy, Daddy and big sister Ayda! March 25th is a good day! Love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Rebekah and Kevin!
Hadley Mei is a beautiful little girl!
with love,
mary crouch

Anonymous said...

Loved reading about Hadley's birth! I actually teared up a little. It sounded wonderful. We all should hope to be as blessed. Enjoy your new family, Lins!!!!

Jaime Browning, DC