Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sugar

So for lent this year I decided to ditch sugar. If you know me well you know this has not been an easy endeavor. But after 3 1/2 weeks I have to admit it is really good. I didn't realize how much I let my sweet tooth control my days. If I had a rough day with the kids or was just feeling blah...I "treated" myself to something sweet. If I was having a great day and all was going well...I "celebrated" with something sweet! You get the idea.

When I was thinking and praying about what to give up, sugar kept coming to mind. I wish I could say I willingly and happily said "sure God I'll give that up". I didn't. I ignored it, searched for something else, and tried to keep moving on. But in the end I knew I needed to give it up. 6 weeks. wow. Didn't think I could do it. But again it's been so freeing...and I feel so much better. I have also started working out lots so the combination has left me a couple inches smaller and with more energy. Clearer mind too!

Two days in I had a night where I just wanted my comfort food...one being when Kevin was out of town for a weekend. Ayda randomly starting throwing up Friday evening. The child has never thrown up in her life...and even as a baby she didn't spit up either! So with Kevin gone and me on my own I was cleaning up that all evening. And Hadley decided it was a perfect night to be more clingy than ever. So while trying to comfort and clean Ayda, I had Hadley screaming at the top of her lungs. It was an awesome night. All I wanted was a glass of wine and a HUGE bowl of ice cream. I was even tempted to just load my sick child and cranky other child into the car and head to DQ down the road. But I didn't. I started praying. Praying for my patience, peace, Ayda's health and comfort, and Hadley's peace. I prayed the whole weekend would not be like friday had started. I put Ayda to bed holding my breath that we would not be up all night and put Hadley to bed praying she would not want to nurse all night for comfort. And God answered...neither girl woke up and we all slept great. Ayda didn't throw up anymore that weekend but we layer low at home and it turned out to be a nice weekend with my girls. We rested, played at home, watched movies. All without sugar!!!

I'm writing this post more for me than anyone because I want to come back in three months and be reminded that sugar is not my comfort. God is. He will always comfort me and He can actually make things better for me in the end. Sugar just makes me sluggish and fat! I'll be honest I will be excited after Easter to have a treat now and then but I don't want to get back into the routine I was once in. I've always heard it takes 21 days to break a habit and start a new one. Lent is 46 days so here's to hoping I am starting a new habit!! Oh and it's amazing how sweet fruit tastes to me now! I keep telling Kevin that our grapes are SO good and sweet. I have a feeling my body and taste buds are actually able to finally taste and enjoy natural sugar! Yay!!

No comments: