I have thought so many times about my labor with Hadley. When I prepared for labor when I was pregnant with Ayda I had things pictured the way I wanted them. Since we would be at home I had all kinds of freedom to do as I pleased. I wanted the room dim, candles lit, music playing, the air warm. I wanted Kevin to catch her. I wanted certain people there with us to welcome her into the world. And when I look back at my labor with her all those things came to be. I got exactly what I wanted and some and was so pleased! So naturally when I was pregnant with Hadley I started making my plans again. I wanted the same things. I pictured a very similar scene but with a few different people and I wanted to have her in water. I had every thing planned and ready to go...
Then labor started and I was holding on for dear life. I feel like we jumped on a roller coaster! My amazing coach, Kevin (duh), was totally caught off guard with how fast and strong the contractions were coming so early. He was still an awesome coach...just took a few contractions for him to snap into go mode! And he was so great to try to get the candles lit and music playing between my contractions. And to be honest I don't think I even saw the candles and I heard maybe two songs on my playlist that I carefully put together. He was by my side though. When I stood in the shower and about flooded the bathroom...he stood there with me, water pouring on his clothes and in his face, so he could rub my back and encourage me. He ran to let people in, made phone calls for me, etc. I feel like as I was focusing on each contraction and time was going in 2 minute increments he was thrown into a whirlwind of chaos! But as always he handled it perfectly and brought me comfort along the way. I'm so thankful for my amazing coach. He has coached me through a nice long, calm labor and a nice fast labor.
I'm also thankful for our awesome midwives. I feel like midwives just don't get credit for what they do. So many people put so much trust in Doctors but discredit the midwife. My midwife in ATL who delivered Ayda will always have a special place in my heart. Debbie helped me through my fears and concerns in pregnancy and in labor. She was reassuring me all the time.
And Robyn and her student Becky are who delivered Hadley and they too have a special place in my heart. My pregnancy was pretty easy with Hadley, unlike Ayda, but when I got PUPPPs they were encouraging and helpful. And when I was clearly missing the fact that I was in transition and Robyn walked in I felt comforted immediately when she calmly said "you're fine. just take one contraction at a time". To have Robyn and Becky next to me and Kevin, cheering me on, as I was pushing is a picture I'll never forget. I'm so thankful for them and their excitement for us and all they are doing to make natural births what they are...amazing!
And my doula, Emily, was with us for Hadley's birth. She too was willing to answer all my random questions (if you can't tell I get a little hyper when pregnant and have lots of questions. All nursing knowledge seems to go out the window!). She got to our house before anyone was awake or the midwives arrived. She supported me if Kevin had to step away for any reason. She too was encouraging and helped me stay focused on one contraction at a time. We joked saying I didn't give her enough time to pull out her tricks for relaxing and such! By the time she got there I was only wanting to stand and the contractions were intense. But she brought me comfort and that is what is important. And she has been checking in on me since Hadley was born to make sure things are going well. So glad we asked her to be a part of this special day!!
It was so nice to have these people be a part of Hadley's birth! I'm thankful for the time they have invested in me and for the love they have given our family. Going back to the birth center on Thursday for my 2 week follow up was like going to see family and show off our baby.
So even though Hadley's birth was quite different than I expected, I would not change a second of it. And since I didn't get to enjoy my playlist during labor, Hadley and I enjoy it everyday as I sit in her nursery with the songs playing softly and feed her. Even Ayda joins us and entertains me with her dancing and twirling to different songs. And the candles sit on Hadley's dresser. They are barely melted (and my mom didn't blow them out till well after Hadley was born).
Before I hit publish I must add...thank you to everyone who was praying for us. I felt the prayers and am so grateful for those prayers! Thank you!!!
1 comment:
sweet Rebeakah! I love reading about your sweet girl's birth. I am so so happy for your family and hope our girls get to hang out together sometime! love you friend.
Post a Comment