Well today has been interesting to say the least. Ayda and I started out by going back to the pediatrician. Her bilirubin was 17 when we went last thursday so we had to get it rechecked. I was dreading her having to get stuck again but to my joy Dr. Long said her coloring was much better and he did not feel it was needed to draw blood. YAY!!!! Then they weighed Ayda and she is 8 pounds 6 ounces. They told me to feed her over the weekend to help with her bili and so that is what i did! And 7 ounces later we are getting quite chunky. So we left there and headed home for a quiet afternoon. She slept great today and I was able to get some things done. Also her Aunt Lauren came and stayed with her so I could go to the store. So that is the first of the firsts...she was left without mommy or daddy (although daddy got home soon after I left). We also hit quite a road block with the breastfeeding. Ayda's latch is apparently not good on one side which has lead to (without being too detailed) some serious cracking issues on me. It got to the point that I cried before and during feeds that required that side. So I called a dear friend, the lactation consultant from work, and our midwife Debbie and compiled a plan. Against my wishes I pumped a feed and gave her her FIRST bottle. Ayda Grace didn't mind that one bit...as long as she is getting fed. It was harder on mommy than her. We also started using a nipple shield and again my little trooper didn't bat an eye. And that brought me so much more comfort during the feed. So the feeding situation was pretty stressful for me but I feel like we are on the right track to getting me healed. Susan a good friend is going to help me on wednesday with her latch on that side once it has healed a little bit. Say a prayer this all gets worked out!
And the last of the firsts was Ayda got to take her first "real" bath. We were signed of at the pediatrician that she can ditch the sponge baths and get in the water!!! Her cord fell off at 5 days but there was a little nub that was oozing so we had to let that clear up some. Ayda was pretty tired during bath time today but overall I think she enjoyed being in the water.
So it was quite a day in the Lin house and I am exhausted! And while all this was going on Kevin had three finals, saw patients, went to target for me, and hit the store for our small group Christmas dinner tomorrow night!
Ayda is already tucked into her bed and sacked out and that is where I am heading next! No pics today...no time! I promise to post some tomorrow or wednesday! She is getting cuter each day!
2 comments:
I understand your pain....Zach had to have his tongue "clipped" on the bottom because he was using his gums to nurse...I was bruised pretty bad, even bleeding some. Shields were my friends.
Glad that everything is going well. I love seeing pictures of your baby and hearing all about her. Hope to talk to you soon!
Marci
I so understand! I promise is gets better! Try some hydrogel pads that you put in the fridge. They were a lifesaver those first 2 weeks. Week 3 was so much better and now we are doing great and I dont even flinch when he latchs where I use to cry! Hope it gets better soon!
Post a Comment