Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tough Mudder

October 27: Kevin was part of what's called Tough Mudder. It's an 11 mile course with 25 obstacles throughout. Not just simple obstacles like run through a bunch of tires. No these obstacles included ice, electrocution, mud, etc. He had to jump off a cliff into a lake of water, he had to crawl through a lot of mud, he had to jump into a huge "bath" of ice water (we watched them refill the ice bins), cross a set of monkey bars that were buttered and at an incline and decline. These are just to name a few. I was so proud of him for finishing and he loved every minute of. The soreness afterwards was no joke as well!! I can only imagine. 

Backing up a few months...Kevin decided in July it was time to get in shape and lose the "baby" weight. He joined me on eating Paleo and started committing to go to the Y almost every morning at 5:15AM. Me being the encouraging wife I am chuckled when he said 5:15AM. I know well that Kevin is not a morning person. BUT he did it. Every morning I'd wake up to the garage door going up at around 5:15. 

One afternoon we were driving home from somewhere and he saw an ad for a Triathlon. He said he wanted to do that and was going to sign up. Again, me being the encouraging wife I am, asked if he realized Triathlon included running, swimming AND biking! He wanted to do it though. He looked up the one we saw and set the date to do it. But before he could sing up, he came across Tough Mudder. Now if you know Kevin well at all...when he does something he does it right. Simply getting in shape was not going to cut it. He needed something big to keep him motivated and he'd have something staring him in the face for some accountability. The boy was pumped about Tough Mudder. He briefly tried to talk me into it and I told him he lost me at mud! We found out one of our friends was doing it too so Kevin was able to join his team. 

And Kevin got in shape, lost almost 30 pounds, and accomplished his goal of Tough Mudder! I am a proud wife! I watched all these people do these crazy obstacles and still had no desire to be out there. I knew Kevin was going to do great and he did...and I was happy to cheer him on!


Ayda ready to cheer daddy on at the starting line 
 Kevin's 9:40AM group ready to start!
 Buttered up monkey bars!
 The girls were SO excited when Kevin ran by us! They cheered him on! 
 A huge wall he had to run up and get over! 
All finished!!

So proud of Kevin and our friend Eric. They stuck together during the race and finished strong!

No comments: